Host:
Guests: and

Genesis 3:6-10; Genesis 15:1-3; John 14:1-2; Matthew 6:25-34; Matthew 18:3; Philippians 4:11-12

Memory text: I Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Is fear an inherent part of human life? (cf lesson comments about infants being afraid, page 35)

• Saying, “don’t be afraid” (e.g. John 14:1-2) is lots easier than not being afraid.
  • How can one translate the admonition into practice?
    • How do counseling techniques and divine aid relate to one another?
    • (Cf. Lesson description of counseling approaches including breathing techniques, thinking about safe things, etc.)
    • How does the success of human efforts to control anxiety affect God’s promises?
    • Trust in God is an extension of how we’ve learned to trust a parent.
    • Does trust in human beings always precede trust in God?
    • What of those whose parents have been untrustworthy—those who have been neglected or abused by their parent?
    • How does one who has been betrayed by human beings regain trust in God?
    • How does one who feels neglected by God gain confidence in God?

What do you learn from the lilies and the sparrows?

• Do believers and unbelievers see these stories differently?
  • How would you help a skeptic who believes in an uncaring God or no God at all, come to confidence in God?

Phil 4:11-13 [11] I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

• Are believers just Pollyanna’s, ignoring all the bad?
  • How does this relate to earlier admonition in this chapter? (verses 6, 7: [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.)